st clares logo
24 hour advice phone line:
0191 529 7108
(for patients and healthcare professionals only)

Bereavement Counselling


image of people Make a referal

Any health care, social care professional or you can refer yourself into this service.

The Bereavement Counselling team take referrals for counselling from typical grief reaction to complex grief areas for counselling sessions. Sessions are available at the Hospice in Jarrow or at Cleadon Park Primary Care Centre, South Shields. The bereavement team consists of fully qualified counsellors as well as counsellors in training. 

Bereavement Counselling Service

What is Bereavement Counselling?

The bereavement counselling service can provide help and support if you have been bereaved and you are experiencing feelings of grief and loss or if you are experiencing anticipatory grief. This service will give you the opportunity to talk to someone in a safe and confidential environment, enabling you to explore your feelings and develop coping strategies during a difficult time.

Who is the care for?

Any individual over 18 years of age and living in the South Tyneside, Sunderland and Gateshead areas who is experiencing grief and loss through bereavement, loss of health through illness or anticipatory grief.

What does the service provide?

Counselling is a committed and confidential listening relationship between yourself and the counsellor.

Bottling up feelings from your grief and loss experience may lead to ill health and despair; to be able to share feelings, anxieties and worries with someone else who is willing to listen may be helpful. Exploring issues and feelings can often help you to decide on a way forward or to simply share where you are at right now. Counselling is a place where you will be seen, listened to, valued and respected for your uniqueness.

Our team consists of carefully selected volunteers who are caring, understanding and professional. Each individual is either working towards a counselling practitioner qualification or has qualified as a counselling practitioner.

Who can make a referral?

Any health care, social care professional or you can refer yourself into this service.