st clares logo
24 hour advice phone line:
0191 529 7108
(for patients and healthcare professionals only)

Gift Aid

Gift Aid

If you would like more information please contact us on 0191 529 7111

Share this page twitter facebook

Gift Aid 

What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid is a simple government initiative which allows us to increase the value of your
donation at no extra cost to you. For every pound you give to us we can claim an extra
25 pence from HM Revenue & Customs, enabling your donation to go further to help
patients and their families.

If each donor said yes to gift aid we could raise an additional £25,000 every year - so
you can see why your help is important to us.

How do I know if I can Gift Aid my donations?

To qualify for Gift Aid, you must pay an amount of UK Income Tax and/or Capital
Gains Tax at least equal to the tax that the charity reclaims on your donations in the
appropriate tax year (currently 25p for each pound donated). Other taxes such as VAT
and Council Tax do not qualify

Please note that Gift Aid can only be claimed from individual donations. It cannot be
claimed from a collection unless each person completes a Gift Aid declaration for their
donated amount.

How do I know if I am a UK tax payer?

If you have a salary, savings in a bank and/or building society, investments or a pension
you may well be a tax payer, so you can Gift Aid your donations.

What do I have to do?

All you have to do is complete a simple Gift Aid declarations which confirms that we can
claim back the tax on your donations. You can do this by filling out the form below. 

What does it mean to St. Clare’s?

For every one pound you give to us, we can get an extra 25 pence from the
HM Revenue & Customs helping your donation go further.

Will this affect my Tax Status?

No. As a tax payer any donations you make to St. Clare’s Hospice have
already had an element of tax removed from them, usually by way of income
tax. What the Gift Aid scheme does is give back to us some of that tax as a
boost to your gift.

Do I have to tell the taxman about my donations?

Only if you are asked to complete a self-assessment tax form by HM Revenue
& Customs.

Can I Gift Aid my donations if I am a higher rate tax payer?

Yes. Please complete the declaration. If you pay Income Tax at the higher or
additional rate and want to receive the additional tax relief due to you, you
must include all your Gift Aid donations on your Self Assessment tax return or
ask HM Revenue & Customs to adjust your tax code.

How do I cancel a declaration?

If your circumstances change and you no longer pay enough income or
capital gains tax to cover the amount claimed by the charity, you can cancel
your declaration. All you need to do is drop us a line at any time telling us you
wish to cancel your declaration.

*Basic rate tax is 20 per cent, so this means that if you give £10 using Gift Aid, it’s worth £12.50 to the charity.


Download a Gift Aid Form

Useful links